Luscious Lemon Coconut Cake
Image: Cake decorated with toasted coconut flakes and lemon blossoms
One of the ladies in store loves lemon cake and so when it came time recently to celebrate her birthday our dedicated resident chef got in and made this for her. Combining the flavours of fresh lemon rind with sweet coconut, lets just say that the staff room was filled with happy faces that day.
So here it is, a simple lemon butter cake recipe that is super easy to make.
Preparation time: 20 minutes
Cooking time: 40 minutes
1 1/2 cups unbleached white self raising flour
1/2 cup desiccated coconut
1 tablespoon grated lemon rind
1 cup caster sugar
125g butter (melted)
1 cup milk
1 1/2 cups icing sugar (sifted)
1 cup desiccated coconut
1/2 teaspoon grated lemon rind
1/4 cup lemon juice
- Preheat the oven to 180’C, and line your cake tin with baking paper (or brush the tin with butter or oil to prevent sticking).
- Combine the flour, coconut rind, sugar, butter, eggs and milk in a bowl and mix well until smooth.
- Pour the mixture into the tin and bake in the oven for 40 minutes (or until a skewer comes out clean when inserted into the middle of the cake).
- Leave for a few minutes to cool before removing from the tin and getting ready to ice.
To make the coconut lemon icing:
- Combine the icing sugar and coconut in a bowl.
- Add the lemon rind and mix well then add the juice slowly until you have a firm but spreadable icing.
- Once the cake has cooled, spread the icing over and decorate with your favourite creations (we used coconut flakes which we toasted under the grill until and golden brown and gorgeous lemon blossoms from the tree in the backyard).