This Week’s Recipe of the Week has been inspired by Justine Schofield’s recipe in Delicious Magazine. A traditional favourite, luscious and creamy, serve warm with fresh fruit for breakfast or dessert. Yum!
300ml pure (thin) cream
1 vanilla bean, split seeds scraped
1 cup (200g) arborio rice, rinsed
2 egg yolks
1/4 cup (55g) caster sugar
Pinch of ground cinnamon, plus extra to serve
Fresh figs, berries or any fruit of your choice, to serve
Zest of 1/2 lemons
- Combine the milk, cream, vanilla pod and seeds in a large saucepan and bring to the boil.
- Add the rice and pinch of salt to the milk mixture and stir through.
- Cook over low heat for 25-30 minutes until the rice is al dente. Remove from the heat.
- Whisk together the egg yolks, caster sugar and cinnamon until pale and thick.
- Stir the egg and sugar mixture into the rice.
- Keep mixing until smooth and glossy.
- If too thick, add a splash of milk or cream.
- Let the rice pudding stand for 5-10 minutes.
- Remove the vanilla pod, then spoon the warm rice pudding into shallow bowls.
- Top the fruit of your choice and sprinkle over the lemon zest and, if desired a little extra cinnamon.
- The rice pudding can also be served cold. Enjoy!