French Puy Lentil & Radicchio Salad
As we enter more into the cooler weather, this weeks recipe of the week is a warm lentil salad with radicchio, walnuts and pecorino cheese. Absolutely mouth watering and delicious. Enjoy.
200g organic french puy lentils
2 bay leaves
3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
90ml of olive oil
100g active jelly bush honey
1/4 teaspoon chilli flakes
100g insecticide free walnuts
1/2 medium radicchio, quartered lengthways
60g pecorino cheese shaved
2 tablespoons of each of basil, dill and parsley, roughly chopped
Salt and black pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 170’C
- Cook the lentils in a medium saucepan, covering with plenty of water and add the bay leaves, simmering for 20 minutes or until just tender. Drain well and then return to the pan.
- Whisk together the vinegar, half the olive oil, half the honey and 3/4 teaspoon of sea salt and some cracked black pepper until all the honey dissolves.
- Stir the mixture into the lentils whilst they are still hot and leave for a few moments to cool, discarding the bay leaves.
- Put the remaining honey, chilli flakes, turmeric and 1/4 teaspoon of salt into a small bowl. Mixing well, add just enough water to turn into a thick paste (about 1 teaspoon).
- Add the walnuts to the paste and coat well. Spread them out evenly on a baking tray lined with baking paper and roast for about 20 minutes, stirring once until crunchy and golden.
- Remove the walnuts from the oven and set aside. Take the nuts off the baking paper as soon as they are cool enough to touch.
- Pour the remaining oil into a medium fry pan and place on high heat. Cut the radicchio into 8 wedges and place them in the oil.
- Cook for about one minute on each side and transfer to a large mixing bowl.
- Add the lentils, walnuts, pecorino and herbs. Stir in gently, and serve warmish or at room temperature.
Gluten Free | Refined Sugar Free