Just Green Lentil Soup
There is something very appealing about a good hearty lentil soup in the colder months. It has for a long time now been one of our favourite legumes and especially in winter for making warming soups & casseroles. We named this soup ‘just’ green lentil soup because that’s exactly what it is. A super simple lentil soup recipe, that is warming and delicious with a little added spice.
Serving Size: 4-6
1 cup green lentils
5 tablespoons olive oil
3 red onions finely chopped
2 garlic cloves finely sliced
½ teaspoon dried chilli flakes
2 teaspoons ground cumin seeds
¼ teaspoon ground turmeric
2 ½ cups vegetable stock
2 ½ cups water
½ cup fresh coriander roughly chopped
Salt and Pepper to taste
Warm crusty bread to serve
- Soak the lentils for 20 minutes in water, rinse thoroughly and then cook on the stove in a medium saucepan bringing to the boil and simmering for 10 minutes. Drain and set aside.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a large pan and sauté two of the onions with the garlic, cumin and turmeric for 3-5 minutes or stirring until golden brown.
- Add the lentils, stock and water and bring to the boil then simmer gently for ½ hour until lentils are soft.
- Heat the remaining oil and sauté the third onion until golden brown, stirring frequently.
- Mash the lentils slightly to make a pulpy texture for the soup and add salt and pepper here as needed.
- Pour the soup into bowls, stir in some fresh coriander and garnish with the sautéed onion and fresh chilli (pictured above).
- Serve hot on its own or with some warm crusty bread.
Make double the batch and freeze portions for warm lunches throughout winter.
Gluten Free | Dairy Free | Vegetarian | Vegan | Sugar Free