Chicken, Basil & Almonds
One of our favourite Spring dishes at home – warm but not too warming – if you know what we mean. The almonds really make this recipe adding extra texture and flavour and combined with the coriander and basil, delicious.
Serving Size: Serves 4
500g chicken fillets (sliced into bite size pieces)
2 cloves of garlic (finely grated)
1 tablespoon fresh ginger (finely grated)
1 red onion – sliced
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 cup sliced beans
1/2 cup sliced celery
1/2 cup sliced red capsicum
3 cups chicken stock (homemade or store bought)
2 tablespoons corn flour or thickener of your choice (tapioca works well if gluten free)
1/2 cup coriander leaves (chopped)
1/2 cup basil leaves (chopped)
- Steam the beans, celery and capsicum for a few minutes and set aside.
- Heat the olive oil and fry the almonds until golden brown. Remove from the oil and drain on paper towel.
- In the same pan saute the onion for 2 minutes then add the chicken and saute for another 2 minutes. Add the garlic and ginger and cook for another 2 minutes.
- Add one cup of chicken stock and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Blend the cornflour with the remainder of the stock then add slowly to the pan.
- Bring to the boil and cook fro 3 minutes stirring continuously.
- Turn off the heat and add the steamed vegetables, tamari and fresh herbs.
- Can be served on its own or with rice or quinoa.