Curried Lentil Bowl
This week’s recipe of the week has been shared by My Country Table’s Elle Spence. A scrummy Curry lentil bowl packed full of nutritious wholefoods and complemented with a fresh and zesty green tahini sauce.
Serving size: 6
2 Cups Brown Rice, uncooked
4 cups of Veggies for Roasting, sliced into similar size pieces (I used fennel, carrots, beetroot, cauliflower & parsnip)
4 Cans of Lentils or 4 Cups of soaked Lentils
4tbs Tomato Paste
1 Brown Onion
1/2tsp Chilli flakes
2tbs Curry Powder
2 Garlic Cloves, peeled and finely chopped
2 Cups Tuscan Kale, finely chopped
Salt & Pepper
Green Tahini Sauce
1 Cup of Fresh Parsley
2 Sprigs of Fresh Dill
2tbs Coconut Yoghurt
1 Cup of Hulled Tahini
1 Garlic Clove, peeled
1 Lemon, juiced
Salt & Pepper
- Heat your oven to 200 degrees celsius.
- Cook your brown rice according to packet instructions or in a rice cooker.
- If using soaked lentils, drain and cook in fresh water for approx 10 mins or until soft.
- Meanwhile, place your 4 cups of chopped vegetables on lined baking trays and lightly coat in olive oil and pepper. Bake in your preheated oven for 20-30 mins until golden brown and cooked. Set aside.
- Heat a large frypan with olive oil and toss in your diced onion and fry until golden and starting to get crispy. Add in your curry powder, chilli flakes, tomato paste, garlic and a generous glug of olive oil and stir. Cook for 1 min constantly stirring. Add in your drained lentils, salt and pepper and stir to combine. Cook for 5-8 mins stirring occasionally until it’s nice and dry and tastes great.
Handy hint. You can add grated carrot or zucchini into this mixture when you add your lentils, it’s a fantastic way to get kids to eat their vegetables.
- Add your finely chopped kale, lemon, some oil, salt and pepper to a bowl and massage together with your hands. Set aside to serve.
- In a blender or processor add all of your ingredients for the green tahini sauce and blend/pulse until smooth and creamy. If it’s too runny add more tahini and if it’s too solid add more coconut yoghurt and water. The thickness should be like creamy dressing.
- Once everything is cooked it’s time to assemble in your bowl. Add in your rice, veg, kale salad, and lentils into your bowl into segments and drizzle your tahini sauce over the top. Sprinkle with freshly cracked pepper and dive right into this delicious meal.
Vegan | Gluten-Free | Refined Sugar-free