Gluten Free Vegetable Pakoras
Welcome to our first Recipe of the Week for 2021. A delicious Gluten-Free Vegetable Pakora recipe shared with us by Elle Spence of My Country Table. As Elle shares ‘they are so simple, packed with vegetables and cost less than $15 to make an entire batch to feed your family’. We’d love to hear your feedback with these. Enjoy!
2 1/2 cups besan flour (chickpea)
1 tablespoon rice flour (optional) – makes them slightly crispier but not essential
1 cup cold water
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 carrot, grated
1 cup cauliflower (or broccoli), chopped into small chunks
2 brown onions, sliced
1 teaspoon freshly grated ginger
2 cups baby spinach, roughly chopped
1 tablespoon fresh coriander, finely chopped
3/4 teaspoon ground coriander
1 1/2 teaspoons ground turmeric
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon chilli flakes
Black pepper to taste
Vegetable oil – enough for a shallow fry
- In a large bowl add all of your chopped vegetables, spices, rice flour, besan flour and baking powder and stir until well coated.
- Add your water a little at a time until it’s all combined and is a sticky slightly runny consistency.
- Heat a large frypan and add in your vegetable oil (enough to cover an entire pan for a shallow fry) until very hot.
- Add dollops of your pakora mixture and cook on both sides until cooked through, crispy and medium golden brown in colour.
- Serve hot with coconut yoghurt, hummus, mixed pickles or tamari as a dipping sauce.
These are fantastic with a fresh green salad on the side or just a big bowl of baby spinach and lemon.
Gluten-Free | Dairy-Free | Vegan | Refined Sugar-Free
To see more great recipes from Elle you can visit her Instagram Page here