Quinoa & Lentil Vege Burgers with Turmeric Tahini Sauce
Another tasty & nutritious recipe from Tristen Van De Kley of Balanced Body Nutrition. Tris describes these as ‘delicious plant-based good-for-you burgers that make for an easy protein packed meatless Monday meal’. She recommends serving in a burger bun with salad and turmeric tahini sauce, or in a nourish bowl with a variety of veggies drizzled with sauce.
Serving Size: makes 8-10 small falafel sized patties or 4 burger patties
1 cup cooked white quinoa
1 heaped cup soaked & cooked lentils
1/2 red onion, finely diced
1 carrot, grated
1 zucchini, grated
1/4 cup almond meal (for gluten free) or oat flour (ground oats)
1 tablespoon Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1-2 tablespoon Sriracha Chili Sauce – alternatively it works with Tamari or Soy sauce
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon Italian herb mix
1/2 teaspoon paprika
For the sauce:
2 tablespoons tahini
1/4 teaspoon turmeric
Juice from 1/2 lemon
2 tablespoons warm water (to thin)
- Cook the lentils & quinoa, drain and set aside.
- Make the flax egg by mixing flax seed meal and water in a bowl. Set aside for 5 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees C and line a baking tray.
- In a mixing bowl add the lentils, quinoa, flax egg, onion, carrot and zucchini. Mash the mixture using a potato masher until about half or slightly more of the lentils are crushed. You still want some whole lentils. This will help the mixture stick better.
- Add in the rest of the burger ingredients and mix well. Taste and adjust salt or spices if needed.
- Check the mixture is the right consistency by shaping into a burger to your desired size. I find its easier to slightly wet your hands before shaping to stop the mixture sticking to your hands. If the mixture is too moist, chill in the fridge for 15 mins. If it’s too sticky, add more almond meal. And if it’s too crumbly or won’t stick, add another flax egg or tablespoon of sauce.
- Shape burger patties into desired size and place on baking tray.
- Bake for 15 minutes, then turn and bake for another 10 minutes.
- Alternatively you can pan fry the burger patties over medium heat for about 6-8 minutes per side until golden brown and cooked through.
- Whilst the burgers are cooking, make the Turmeric Tahini Sauce by simply mixing all sauce ingredients in a bowl. Add water to reach desired consistency. Taste and adjust if needed.
Gluten Free | Dairy Free | Refined Sugar Free