Spiced Dahl Buddha Bowl with Teff Flat Bread
This weeks recipe of the week comes from food blogger Natalie Zee… a spiced lentil dahl combined with a wholemeal teff flat bread – it’s packed full of nutrients and cold-fighting herbs and spices, plus it’s perfect for school or work lunches and you can mix it up with whatever vegetables you like to put together your own Buddha Bowl (a bowl of nutrient-packed vegetarian goodness).
Spiced Lentil Dahl
Serving size: 4
1 1⁄2 cups of red lentils, rinsed
1 brown onion, finely diced
1⁄2 a tbsp. of coconut oil
1 clove of garlic
1 teaspoon of grated fresh ginger
2 teaspoon of garam masala
1 teaspoon of cumin powder
1⁄2 a teaspoon of ground cinnamon
1⁄2 a teaspoon of ground mustard seeds
1 teaspoon of organic turmeric powder
2.5 cups of water
1. In a medium saucepan, fry off onions in coconut oil until translucent.
2. Meanwhile, place the garlic, ginger and all spiced in a small bowl and stir together.
3. Add the spice mix to the pot once the onions start to caramelised and stir over heat for 30 seconds or until fragrant.
4. Add the lentils and water. Bring back up to the simmer.
5. Cook until the lentils are tender and the water is absorbed. Add more water if needed.
6. Season with salt and serve with a variety of vegetables and plain yoghurt.
Vegetarian | Vegan | Gluten Free | Dairy Free | Sugar Free
Fast Wholemeal Teff Flat Bread
Serving size: Makes 6 small
– 1⁄2 a cup of Teff Flour
– 1⁄2 a cup of organic stoneground wholegrain plain flour
– 1 tbsp of plain yoghurt (can use coconut yoghurt to keep it vegan)
– 1⁄4 of a cup of water
– 1 tbsp of olive oil
– Pinch of salt
1. Combine all ingredients in a small bowl until it turns into small pieces of dough.
2. Turn the mixture out onto a well-floured bench and knead for 30 seconds or until it comes together. 3. Break the dough into 6 small balls.
4. Flour each ball well and roll into a small disk.
6. Turn the bread and do the same on the other side. It’s ready when it looks and smells toasty.
7. Repeat with all the other breads.
8. Serve with dhal Buddha bowl, dips, soup – anything goes!
Vegetarian | Refined Sugar Free
To see more from Natalie Zee visit her instagram page here
Shop Recipe Ingredients